It’s no secret that Florida is subject to rain, especially during the summer months. And trying to plan a vacation around a time when it’s not going to rain is impossible. Nevertheless, it’s still possible to have a beach vacation on Florida’s Space Coast despite thunderstorms.
Florida’s weather patterns are sporadic and can change in a moment’s notice. It could rain one hour and the sunshine could come out the next. If you’re visiting Cocoa Beach or Melbourne & The Beaches this summer, make sure you plan your days accordingly. Thunderstorms come almost like clockwork, and can typically be expected in the afternoon between 2 and 4 p.m.
To take advantage of your time at the beach this summer, here’s a schedule we recommend to be those summer storms:
- Sunrise Beach Walk – Enjoy a beautiful sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean. It’s rare when the Space Coast has a rainy morning.
- Beach Time – Get out on the beach by 10 a.m. It provides the perfect sun coverage before the high-noon sun. When you start to see dark clouds to the west, check your weather app for the latest news. It’s possible that it could break up before it reaches your spot on the beach. However, safety first! When in doubt, pack it up and head inside.
If you were hoping to get to the beach, but you get rained out, don’t worry. There are plenty of options to keep you and your family entertained while on vacation! Check out these top, nearby attractions:
- Exploration Tower – Port Canaveral: Seven floors of exhibit and interactive play, the Exploration Tower includes something for everyone. Learn about Port Canaveral’s history, grab a bite to eat, and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding area.
- Victory Casino Cruise – Port Canaveral: With two cruises taking place daily, these Vegas-style casino boats have over 600 slot machines and 27 casino games. Do they sail in the rain? Yes!
- The Dinosaur Store – Cocoa Beach: Boasting a variety of science activities, arcade style games and the all-new Museum of Dinosaurs and Ancient Cultures, this interactive exhibit is both educational and fun for the whole family.
- The Escape Room – Cocoa Beach: Full of mystery and problem-solving, Escape Cocoa Beach is a perfect activity to do with the entire family. From searching for keys and hints to deciphering riddles, Escape Cocoa Beach gives an excuse to work together as a team and have fun while doing it.
- Sky Zone – Rockledge: This indoor trampoline park is loads of fun on a rainy day! From climbing the rock wall and jumping in the foam pit to bouncing on trampolines and dunking basketballs, children and adults alike will burn all that pent-up energy and forget all about the rain.
- Adventure HQ – Melbourne: This brand-new facility is full of action packed activities ranging from bouldering walls, crazy climb area, ninja warrior courses, and much more. Both kids and adults will love exploring Adventure HQ.
- Painting with a Twist – Cocoa and Melbourne: Offering classes daily, Painting with a Twist is a great place to be creative and explore your artistic side. Receive step-by-step instruction from a skilled artist and paint a one-of-a-kind work of art to take home with you.
- The Gathering Table – Melbourne: Whether you’re hoping to learn some new skills or pick up some fresh ideas, The Gathering Table is an interactive cooking experience. The classes are suitable for anyone who enjoys cooking, eating or has a passion for food.
- Foosaner Art Museum – Melbourne: With new exhibits every few months, there’s always something new and beautiful to see at the Foosaner Art Museum. The museum is situated in the heart of the Eau Gallie Arts District, which is home to dozens of art galleries and shops.
- Barrier Island Sanctuary – Melbourne Beach: Although it’s quite a distance from Cocoa Beach, the Barrier Island Sanctuary offers nature enthusiasts a place to explore and learn about Florida’s Space Coast diverse habitats through interactive exhibits.
No matter what the weather may do while you’re on vacation, Florida’s Space Coast has many activities to keep you busy and dry (or at least give you a break from the heat!) To book your next vacation to Florida’s Space Coast, click here.