Fun for everyone this holiday season
It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Where leaves change color, snow starts to fall, and the magic of the season is all around. As plans of holiday fun start to fill the calendar, the idea of venturing to another place to celebrate the holidays may be just the adventure you and your family are after this year. Florida’s Space Coast is nestled within a day of driving from major cities across the south, which makes this an ideal spot for a family getaway this holiday season. So how do you make this a getaway you and your family won’t soon forget? By making sure everyone has something to do with a few choose-your-own-adventure options for all to enjoy and maybe make this a new holiday tradition.
That’s right! Grandparents may be living the retired life so hitting a few golf balls is a great way to add some fun to the holidays. And with the many golf courses all throughout the Space Coast, a day out on the green could be the best gift this holiday. If putting around is more their style and you want to make it a family outing, head over to one of the miniature golf courses to score that coveted hole-in-one. Better yet, if you want to really make it a unique experience for the entire crew, take a stab at Smash Golf. Not sure what that is? Smash golf is where golf and tennis combine to create a one-of-a-kind experience that made its debut here first on the Space Coast.
Golf Courses: PGA-style
- Duran Golf Club | Viera
- Cocoa Beach Country Club | Cocoa Beach
- The Savannahs | Merritt Island
- Spessard Holland Golf Course | Melbourne Beach
- The Majors at Bayside Lake | Palm Bay
Miniature Golf Courses
What better way to treat your kids to a true Space Coast sport than giving them surf lessons where Pro Surfer Kelly Slater spent some of his formative years crafting his skill. All along the coast you can find locals who will give your kids a ride of a lifetime.
- Wavemaster Surf School | Cape Canaveral
- Ron Jon Surf School | Cocoa Beach
- Cocoa Beach Surf Company | Cocoa Beach
- Surfguys Surf School | Melbourne Beach
Enjoy quaint, boutique shopping where you’ll find one-of-a-kind works of art and fashionables as well tasty treats and collectibles as you stroll along historic tree-lined and cobblestone streets. The Space Coast has a few downtown shopping districts where those who want to peruse the stores can shop ‘til they drop while the rest of the family can play outside, enjoy wall murals, or satisfy those hunger pangs at one of the many local restaurants.
You can’t come to the Space Coast and not experience a sport that is great for family bonding time. When you set out for a day on the water, you’re bound to snag the catch of the day. Whether you go out in the Atlantic Ocean for deep-sea fishing or stay inland and fish the waters of the Indian and Banana Rivers, there are plenty of fish to be caught when you’re here.
Deep Sea Fishing
- Anglers Envy Fishing Charters | Cape Canaveral
- Arts Adventure Sport Fishing Charters | Cape Canaveral
- Fired Up Fishing Charters | Cape Canaveral
- Obsession Fishing Charters | Cape Canaveral
- Sea Levelers Sport Fishing Charter | Cape Canaveral
Inland Lagoon Fishing
- Central Florida Sight Fishing Charters | Cape Canaveral
- Fin & Fly Fishing Charters | Cocoa Beach
- Fine Line Charters w/ Capt. Jim Ross | Various Locations
- Lagooner Fishing Guides | Cocoa Beach
- Native Son Fishing Charter | Cocoa Beach
Although Disney World is a tough attraction to beat, you’d be surprised at how many fun things to do as a family are here on the Space Coast. The magical and mesmerizing world of space and the history that has shaped this area is one of many entertainment hot spots along with animal encounters that make you feel like you’ve traveled to another continent and even traveling back to the Prehistoric Age. Special holiday events will be added for extra fun.
- Andretti Thrill Park | Melbourne
- Brevard Zoo | Melbourne
- The Dinosaur Store and Museum of Ancient Cultures | Cocoa Beach
- Exploration Tower | Cape Canaveral
- Kennedy Space Center | Merritt Island
The Space Coast is known for its great weather pretty much anytime of the year, making the holiday season all the more appealing when you’d like to trade the brisk, chilly air for sunny, tropical days. If you’re planning to spend part of the holiday season on the Space Coast, there are plenty of ways to enjoy the outdoors while you’re here. Full of trails, hidden pathways to enchanting nature walks, wildlife to see like manatees, birds, otters, and alligators, as well as canals to explore, the opportunities are endless on how you can get out and enjoy the sunny skies and the natural beauty of the Space Coast.
- Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge | Titusville
- Rotary Park | Merritt Island
- Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands | Viera
- St. Sebastian River Preserve State Park | Fellsmere
- Enchanted Forest | Titusville
- Wickham Park | Melbourne
- Barrier Island Sanctuary | Melbourne Beach
- Turkey Creek Sanctuary | Palm Bay
- Boat Tours | Cape Canaveral
- Kayak Tours | Cocoa Beach
- Camp Holly Airboat Tours | Melbourne
- Paddle Board Tours | Melbourne Beach
- Space View Park | Titusville
- Jetty Park | Cape Canaveral
- Lori Wilson Park | Cocoa Beach
- Sebastian Inlet State Park | Melbourne Beach
The Space Coast offers plenty of ways to get into the holiday spirit and have a fun time with your family and friends. Here are some of the pop-up events that make this time of the year worth a trip here.
- Space Coast State Fair | Viera
November 6-22, 2020
Come one and come all to the Space Coast State fair. If you’re planning on being here before Thanksgiving, this fair is the area’s largest and most popular annual family event and is a must to add to your itinerary.
- Space Coast Light Fest | Melbourne
November 13, 2020 – January 3, 2021
This twinkling light and animated display is a favorite this time of the year. Enjoy a drive through the lighted winter wonderland for a truly magical holiday treat with the family.
- 8th Annual Light Up Viera Holiday Parade | Viera
November 28, 2020
This fun night has become a local favorite. Stop by the Santa letter writing station to get in those last requests, then sit back and enjoy an evening of bright lights and holiday entertainment.
- 36th Annual Festival of Trees | Melbourne
November 28 – December 5, 2020
Creativity and art in on display in the storefronts along the streets of the Eau Gallie Arts District. Enjoy Christmas trees all decked out for the holidays. A special lighting event on December 4 will feature trees and wreaths up for auction
- Museums of Brevard Inaugural Christmas Tour of Historic Homes | Various Locations
December 1-20, 2020
Take a walk back in time as you experience the joy of Christmas past in these Victorian homes. Tour all six homes throughout the Space Coast and receive a special Victorian Christmas ornament as a souvenir.
- Surfing Santas | Cocoa Beach
December 24, 2020
This annual event is scheduled, but a final decision will be available by December 1 to determine if it’s safe for you and your family to attend in light of the pandemic. Modifications to the event will be in place if it does go on as scheduled so you can enjoy this fun outing with you and your family.
Run off all the pumpkin pie and jingle your way to the finish line with these annual Space Coast races. Make it a family affair, dress up, and capture photos along the way for a fun way to celebrate the holidays.
- Space Coast Turkey Trot 5k & 10k | Melbourne
November 26, 2020
Get a jump start to your Thanksgiving with a little run to make room for all the yummy food you’ll eat that day! Dress up, have fun, and if you’re fast enough, you may just score your own pumpkin pie.
- Space Coast Half & Full Marathon | Cocoa
November 29, 2020
This annual event is Florida’s oldest marathon. Whether you enter and participate or come to be a cheerleader along the course, the energy buzzing around Coca Village makes this a “can’t miss” happening on the Space Coast. And with a space theme, don’t be surprised if you see a runner dressed as a rocket race by, leaving a sonic boom in their track.
- Run Run Santa 1-Mile | Viera
December 19, 2020
Chase down Santa in this fun and short race where everyone, young and old, wins when you cross the finish line. Start your day here before heading to the Jingle Bell 2-miler and make a jolly good day of fun for you and your family.
- Jingle Bell 2-Miler | Satellite Beach
December 19, 2020
Get in on the fun and jingle your way to the finish line. Dress up festive with your family for an evening of holiday fun!
Now that you have all that you need to plan out the most perfect holiday getaway here on the Space Coast, the only thing left to do is book your accommodations and work in the restaurants you’d like the check out. The links below will help you find the best place to rest your head and fill your belly with some of the best food around.
May this be a holiday season you won’t forget! See you soon on the Florida’s Space Coast!