The SpaceCoast FreeWheelers are proud to sponsor the 30th Annual IntraCoastal Waterway Century. The most scenic ride in Florida. This route will have you cycling alongside and over the beautiful Intracoastal Waterway. Brevard's most beautiful natural and historical landmarks also lay along this course—including the Kennedy Space Center Complex. In one day you will ride by Rocket Gardens, over sailboats, through wildlife preserves, and under shady oaks lining charming neighborhood roads.
This course begs you to savor its delightful sights—and maybe even stop for a few spectacular photos too. Here's just a few highlights:
- Cross over three bridges and three different bodies of water. The Eau Gallie Causeway lifts you high over the ICW while the low-slung Mather's Swing Bridge brings you down to eye-level with the dolphins and Dragon Boat Race teams as they pass beneath you.
- Cycle right through the home of heroes and legends—the Kennedy Space Center— where you’ll pass near the Rocket Gardens, launch pads, and the center's impressive 60-acre solar farm.
- Relish riding through the shady Pine Island Conservation Area and 880-acre Wildlife Sanctuary while you watch for alligators and marvel at one of the oldest standing structures in Florida—the historic Sam House.
- Peddle along the edge of the Indian River Lagoon, side-by-side with the manatees and Great Blue Herons. The sweet river breeze will keep you going.
- Take in the quaint 125-year-old Saint Luke's Episcopal Church with its Carpenter Gothic Style and iconic-looking graveyard.
- Wind through Crooked Mile Road and the enchanting homesteads on Merritt Island. Some date back to the turn of the century and were once pineapple and citrus farms.
- Spot the classic, rod-iron-gated Georgiana Cemetery with its moss-dripping oaks; it's sure to capture your imagination as you cruise by. And one special curve is home to a lovely church that was built with lumber delivered by sailboat from St. Augustine in 1886.
- Coast over the finish line and celebrate completing your race in the riverfront town of Cocoa Village with a post ride meal.
5 Rides / 1 Event
The IntraCoastal Waterway Century event welcomes cyclist of all levels with 5 different rides.
- 200K (124 miles) - New! Be the first to earn your helmet sticker for this inaugural event
- Century (102 miles)
- Metric Century (65 miles)
- Half Metric Century (28 miles)
- Quarter Metric Century (14 miles)
These are fully supported rides with well-stocked Rest Stops and roving SAG support.
The 14-mile ride is a safe, escorted, and pace-controlled course—perfect for active young families and beginners.
For families with non-cyclist, there are plenty of local activities to enjoy either along the route or in the riverside boutiques of Cocoa Village.
- October 28, 2018
- Start: Cocoa Beach Civic Center
- Register: Race Roster Link for 2018 - https://raceroster.com/events/2018/18532/30th-annual-intracoastal-waterway-century
- July 1 - Sept 30 - $40.00
- Oct 1 - Oct 28 - $50.00
- Parking: http://spacecoastfreewheelers.com/wp-content/uploads/icwc/ICWC-Parking.png
- Ride Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
More than just a ride
Of course it's about the ride—but it's also about meeting up with friends and celebrating your accomplishments too. We've been doing it for thirty years! Join us this year.