Nothing to do while on the Space Coast sounds like an oxymoron! The new year opens with all-new attractions, thrilling adventures, rockin' country concerts, special events and up-close wildlife encounters. Here's some of our TOP PICKS for the entire family!
- 17: 4th Annual Florida Key Lime Pie Festival Savor the delightful flavors of the Key Lime Pie Festival at Port Canaveral beginning at 10 a.m. on January 17.
- 21-26: 18th Annual Space Coast Birding & Wildlife Festival Wildlife fans will flock to this festival that includes birding tours, wildlife lectures, photography workshops and many social activities. The festival allows bird lovers to get closer than ever to intriguing birds of prey via The Raptor Project January 21 through 26 at the East Florida College campus in Titusville.
- 24: 3rd Annual Crab Smash & Oyster Bash Benefiting the Brevard County High School Culinary Arts Program, this annual seafood jubilee fundraiser is scheduled for January 24 at Wild Ocean Seafood at Port Canaveral and features fresh Florida fish, shrimp, crab and oysters, live music and beer and wine.
- 14 (Presidents Weekend): Zebras at the Brevard Zoo The Brevard Zoo will be adding more than 100 feet of expanded boardwalk to its Africa platform along with a covered pavilion from which guests can view giraffes. Formerly an exhibit only seen while kayaking, this expansion allows guests to be right next to lemur island and its six ring-tailed lemurs. The Zoo will also add a barn underneath the expanded boardwalk that will house two Grevy's zebra.
- March 12-15: Ron Jon Beach n Boards Fest Surfers and beach lovers are celebrated March 12 through 15 at Cocoa Beach during competitions, exhibitions, board sports, music, volleyball, entertainment and more.
- March 20-22: Runaway Country Music Fest Turn up the music this March 20 through 22 at Wickham Park in Melbourne for the hottest country music event in Florida. See top acts including Blake Sheldon, Florida Georgia Line, Love and Theft, Lee Brice and Eric Paslay.
- April 24-25: Sunshine State Egg Fest From April 24-25, feel the heat as more than 500 Big Green Egg grills blaze with rich BBQ recipes and dishes from Florida chefs that guests can sink their teeth into. Brought to you by Wassi's Meat Market, the two-day statewide event will be hosted this year at the Radisson Resort at Port Canaveral.
- May 15-17: 6th Annual Thunder On The Beach Don't miss the only official national and international sanctioning body for offshore powerboat racing in the world at Cocoa Beach on May 15 through 17. Attracting more than 80,000 visitors to Florida's Space Coast, the event features top race teams including Miss Geico, Spirit of Qatar and hometown teams Warpaint and Perdition competing in one of the most popular offshore boat racing events on the Super Boat International race circuit.
Where to stay? Florida's Space Coast has more than 10,000 guest rooms including hotels, motels, beach rentals as well as condominiums and rental homes. To discover and learn more, go to Visit Space Coast. About Florida's Space Coast Located 35 miles (56 km) east of Orlando, Florida's Space Coast is home to Orlando's closest beaches. Encompassing Cocoa Beach, Melbourne Beach, Palm Bay and Titusville, this family-friendly destination offers more than 10,000 guest rooms, and is an ideal, value getaway. Guests will discover 72 miles (110 km) of beaches, the longest stretch in the state and more than 250 square miles of wildlife refuge. It is home to one of the nations busiest cruise ports; is the nations East Coast surfing capital and the location of NASA's Kennedy Space Center, where all 135 shuttle missions launched and unmanned rockets continue to launch. The Space Coast is home to Space Shuttle Atlantis and is one of only four destinations nationwide where visitors can view an orbiter. For more information, contact the Space Coast Office of Tourism, visit www.visitspacecoast.com.